This tutorial will explain how to sort references alphabetically in Microsoft Word. It will be particularly useful for those who are studying or putting together a report where a large number of citations or references will need to go at the end of the document. The instructions also apply to sorting any paragraphs of text A-Z according to the first word. If that sounds like it would be of use in your work, follow along!
There is nothing worse than having hundreds of citations at the end of a dissertation or report and needlessly cutting and pasting them one by one to arrange them alphabetically. This simple method outlined below will sort them in seconds.
- Open your Word document with the list of references you would like to reorder.
- Select all of the items in your list by dragging your cursor to highlight them.
- Select the Home tab from the menu bar at the top of the Word document.
- Click on the Sort icon that has an A-Z icon with an arrow.
- This will display a Sort Text box. In this set Sort by to Paragraphs and Text.
- Next choose either Ascending (A to Z) or Descending (Z to A).
- Click OK and enjoy your ordered results!